RCTS Logo

Branches

Scotland

Meeting Reports

Saturday 11th February 2017
Digital Enhancement of Railway Photographs - Part 2
Dr. David P. Williams

Our February meeting entitled ‘Digital Enhancement of railway photographs part 2’ by David Williams had a good audience in spite of inclement weather.
As an introduction, images from 1959 of locomotives at Darlington Works awaiting scrapping, including examples of D49/Hunt’ and remains of a K2’, while at Doncaster Works an N1 and B17 ‘Sandringham’ awaited scrapping.
Doncaster Shed housed a B16, ex-works K3, W1, and in the station, a GCR tank. Also at Doncaster, SNG on the day of SLS Silver Jubilee run was also seen.
Selby shed housed a T1 4-8-0T, Morpeth provided a J25, Dunbar shed a V2 and J36, ‘William Whitelaw’, D11 ‘Director’, at Haymarket, & D49’ Dunbartonshire’ at St. Margaret’s.
“Computer Coloured Monochrome”, a process of adding colour to a Black and White original facilitated by Photoshop, was described, including the compensation required when the original image was on orthochromatic or panchromatic film. Finished work included Edinburgh examples - Lord President at Haymarket, William Whitelaw & Director ‘James Fitzjames’ at Waverley.
David Williams is working with NRM on images from the R D Stephen Archive.
The final image illustrated the 3 original LMS Duchesses on Press Day at Crewe Works, the original negative being approximately A4 size.

An excellent afternoon meeting.

Saturday 21st January 2017
NCB Kinneil Colliery- BO'NESS
Robert Jardine

The January meeting, entitled “NCB Kinneil Colliery, Bo’ness”, with Robert Jardine, was very well attended.
Coal mining in the area goes back to the 1200s, the owner of land at Carriden granting the Monks of Holyrood a tenth of his coal. In 1769/1770 the lessee of Kinneil House, who also leased the mines in Kinneil, engaged a certain James Watt to get the steam engines driving the mine pumps working efficiently. A detailed history of mining and associated industries in Kinneil/Bo’ness followed, illustrated by numerous maps and photographs. The changes of ownership of the mine(s) were noted.
The Miner’s Welfare Institute opened in 1923, costing £4,000, hosting cricket, Angling Club, Quoits, Homing Pigeons, and Pitch & Toss. A Bowling Green opened in 1927, the Colliery Silver Band operating from 1953.
A new shaft, 22ft diameter & 2,400ft deep, was sunk in 1950, construction taking 7 to 8 years, designed to produce up to 3000 tons of coal daily, costing approximately £6,000,000.
Despite the investment, geological, and probably financial, problems contributed to the eventual closure of Kinneil Superpit in the autumn of 1982, a number of phases of redundancies from the mid 1970s predating eventual closure and subsequent demolition.

Thursday 10th November 2016
SRPS Quiz

Scottish Branch - Meeting report - 10th November 2016

The November meeting featured the SRPS Quiz, between teams representing SRPS Railtours, Lanarkshire, Edinburgh & RCTS Scotland. RCTS Scotland team members were Ronnie McAdam (captain), Keith Sanders and Robert Walker. Lanarkshire defeated Railtours in the first round, RCTS Scotland triumphed over Edinburgh in the second round. A well fought final round saw Lanarkshire defeat the RCTS Scotland team and win the competition.
A well attended turnout witnessed the competition, which featured some tricky questions for the respective teams.
Our thanks to the SRPS for the preparatory work behind the scenes, without which the evening would not have been possible.

Thursday 13th October 2016
A Scottish Steam Tour - Part 3
Sam Woods

Our October meeting A Scottish Steam tour part 3, with Sam Woods, went ahead without the author due to him being indisposed. The pen drive containing the presentation was available, allowing the presentation to proceed as intended.
Many of the images were taken by North East England photographers, and are part of the J.W. Armstrong Trust. Photographers included Cecil Sanderson, John M. Boyes, Stuart Sellar, W. A.C. Smith, Ken Cockerill, Morrison Bryce, Prof. S.W. Hampton & Henry Casserley et al.
Featured items included Glasgow tram 488, ex C.R. Beetlecrusher, a tender-cab fitted Jumbo, Yoker, St. Enoch station with 60534 Irish Elegance, plus a variety of ex C.R.. H.R., G.S.W.R., & L.N.E.R. locos. Additional locations comprised Fairlie Pier, Greenock Ladyburn shed, Wemyss Bay and a cl.33, Troon harbour, Ayr, the Port Road, Dumfries station, Stranraer, Kilmarnock, & loco scrapping at Kilmarnock works.
Hamish Stevenson provided valuable commentary during the proceedings, much appreciated by those attending this very enjoyable evening of nostalgia.
A short Q & A Session concluded the evening.

last updated: 17/07/17