RCTS Logo

Viscount Garnock

A forum for the discussion of railway related topics

Viscount Garnock

Postby 4008 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:38 pm

Hello

I am trying to investigate more about a Viscount Garnock (he may have also been known as David Lindsey-Bethune) who was the first private owner of K4 The Great Marquess. What you may also be aware is that he also had work experience with the Union Pacific Railroad crewing the 4-8-8-4 “Big Boy” out of Cheyenne. Sadly that is all that I know about his experience there. However, I see from an internet search that he also gave a talk to the Sheffield Branch of the RCTS in the late 1950’s talking about his time in the US and I write today to see if anyone has any further information on this? Photos, stories, any known magazine articles etc would be really interesting to see.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by 4008 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Viscount Greenock

Postby jon hughes » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:05 pm

He had a subtantial model railway in his garden which was used in an episode of the " Avengers " on TV, which if my memory is correct involves
Dians Ring being tied to the track and being saved at there last minute.
Jon Hughes
jon hughes

Re: Viscount Garnock

Postby 4008 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:55 pm

Thanks Jon. You are certainly right about the Avengers. You can see it all here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnVmqo8 ... xipYaoYEHh

It was filmed at Stapleford Park - a great railway. Still there, and well worth a visit.

However, I don't believe it was ever owned by Viscount Garnock. I think it was the Grettons.

Any other information would be welcomed!

Thanks

Re: Viscount Garnock

Postby Ian Prince » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:17 pm

Yes at the time it would have been the Gretton's.

Recall visiting there a few times in the 1960s, although no great drama going on at the time and certainly no heroines tied to the track. As well as the steam engines, recall a representation of a BR or DB 'Warship' style diesel miniature loco being there too.

They also had some 'boats' on the lake there too that you could 'cruise' on.
Ian Prince

Return to Discussion