Carmarthen to Aberystwyth re-opening?

A forum for the discussion of railway related topics
RichardCoulthurst

Carmarthen to Aberystwyth re-opening?

Post by RichardCoulthurst » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:40 pm

There is a long standing campaign to re-open the Carmarthen to Aberystwyth line in order to improve communication between South and North Wales. The proposal has now received some guarded support from Carwyn Jones, Wales' First Minister who is reported as saying on 9th October:

"In principle, I would be supportive of considering the possibility of reopening the line. There are a number of problems, for example the permanent way is no longer there to the north of Carmarthen. There's a road there now. There are certain sections of the track where the Gwili is on part of the track, and there are areas where the track is totally gone. Lampeter, for example, one bridge disappeared south of Lampeter. So it wouldn't be a cheap option, but, to be ambitious, I do think that long-term, this is something that would benefit the area because I do know that there are a number of communities that would benefit from the reopening of the line."

Re-opening the line would certainly be challenging but consider what is being done on the Borders Railway in Scotland or the re-opening of the Rochdale Canal (which has been completed) in the North of England which involved re-engineering a motorway junction and the alteration of many road bridges. The campaigners say that the re-opened line would serve a larger population than the Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth route. Watch this space!

BigMal442

Re: Carmarthen to Aberystwyth re-opening?

Post by BigMal442 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:11 pm

Hi Richard,
Do have a look at the mystery photos on the RCTS website for the railway as it was before closure.
Personally I do not see that buildings or roads on trackbeds should be a block to reopening lines but local Councils, Sustrans and the road lobby see things differently.
I can not see the line reopening mainly due to the huge cost vz the population density (or lack of) through which the line passed.
If rebuilt that then would still leave the very northern section of the line north of Pwllheli as the missing link.
Now that the Welsh Highland Railway is open there is little hope of the line being connected at the North end back to Caernarfon from Pwllheli, but a strong case could be made for the reopening of the line to Caenarfon from Bangor due to the opening of the WHR. Though the upgraded road is built on part of the trackbed.

Cheers
BM.

D1001

Re: Carmarthen to Aberystwyth re-opening?

Post by D1001 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:21 pm

While I fully support the reopening of closed lines, what benefit will be realised in opening the line from Carmarthen to Aberystwyth and then Pwllheli to Bangor? I can't imagine many people travelling more than just a few miles to the local towns (Lampeter or Caernarfon for example) for shopping. There are few commuting opportunities as there are no big cities at journeys end, unlike the Borders Railway which has Edinburgh. As I don't live in the area I may be talking out of turn but I would be interested to see why supporters feel this is a viable restoration.