RCTS Logo

Dead or Dying Already?

A forum for the discussion of railway related topics

Re: Dead or Dying Already?

Postby windsor_lad » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:42 pm

There is also the Society Yahoo Group which means a degree of competition and that the forum will not thrive while both are still running. The market is effectively split.

As we have recently seen. a lot of members are reluctant to change.
windsor_lad

Postby Paddy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:30 am

Dead or Dying? The last post prompted me to look at the RCTS Yahoo group, and the other 3 Railway-related Yahoo groups to which I subscribe. I needed to navigate around the groups a bit but soon found the hang of it and all that I had missed since I looked at them a long time ago. The Forum seems much more user friendly to me. The bonus is I can look at the RCTS public site without logging on as a Forum member and instantly see if there is a new post (time stamped at the top of the list). In all these cases (Forum vs Groups) one needs to accept that it does need a little bit of time to look at, and is totally dependent on the users to keep it going. Sometimes it is stagnant, other times it buzzes (sometimes with complaints). I think the Forum serves the RCTS well, and the RO Channel is, and has proven to be, and excellent way of commenting on the RO. The key question is - what happens to the comments/suggestions when they are made?. In this case some feedback from the MC, even to say that the comments were being considered, or at least acknowledged, would I am sure beef up this Forum in relation to RCTS actions and decisions. A good example would be some amplification of the future RCTS stand on 'What Really Happened to Steam' beyond the brief statement in the April RO. This forum is good - we need to use it.
Paddy

Postby Peter Hall » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:26 am

windsor_lad wrote:There is also the Society Yahoo Group which means a degree of competition and that the forum will not thrive while both are still running. The market is effectively split.

As we have recently seen. a lot of members are reluctant to change.

I had been lead to believe that the plan was to discontinue the Yahoo Group once the Forum was functioning. However, as with the printed RO Index, it does appear that the MC decision has not been properly communicated and lay members views considered. Hopefully a clear assessment of how things currently stand with regard to both topics will be given by the MC next Saturday (AGM).
Peter Hall

Postby D3796 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:26 am

Peter Hall wrote: Hopefully a clear assessment of how things currently stand with regard to both topics will be given by the MC next Saturday (AGM).

I wouldn't hold your breath :)
Regards

David - D3796 (08 629)
D3796

Postby Peter Hall » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:54 am

Paddy wrote:I think the Forum serves the RCTS well, and the RO Channel is, and has proven to be, and excellent way of commenting on the RO. The key question is - what happens to the comments/suggestions when they are made?. In this case some feedback from the MC, even to say that the comments were being considered, or at least acknowledged, would I am sure beef up this Forum in relation to RCTS actions and decisions. A good example would be some amplification of the future RCTS stand on 'What Really Happened to Steam' beyond the brief statement in the April RO. This forum is good - we need to use it.

My presumption is that all of the MC do regularly look at the update and particularly keep an eye on forum comments. Unfortunately because many use a pseudonym it is not always clear whether comments are being made by a MC member or back bencher. I would though agree with 'Paddy' that more feedback on comments from the MC member most appropriately placed to do so would be beneficial.
Peter Hall

Postby Peter Hall » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:45 am

D3796 wrote:
Peter Hall wrote: Hopefully a clear assessment of how things currently stand with regard to both topics will be given by the MC next Saturday (AGM).

I wouldn't hold your breath :)

Probably not a wise thing to do at the AGM. The medics may well be too busy extracting knives from my back following the aftermath of the Sheffield coup d' etat to give resuscitation.

A quick read of the AGM Supplement would appear to reveal no mention of the Yahoo Group. The cessation of the printed index is covered on xii but it does appear a number of lay members feel they were badly represented by their representatives at the 'Officers Conference'.

The Society AGM is the annual opportunity for lay members to question the officers on actions taken and planned. Hopefully those with such questions not answered in the supplement will ask these on Saturday and be satisfied with the responses received.
Peter Hall

Postby D3796 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:32 am

Peter Hall wrote:A quick read of the AGM Supplement would appear to reveal no mention of the Yahoo Group. The cessation of the printed index is covered on xii but it does appear a number of lay members feel they were badly represented by their representatives at the 'Officers Conference'.

The Society AGM is the annual opportunity for lay members to question the officers on actions taken and planned. Hopefully those with such questions not answered in the supplement will ask these on Saturday and be satisfied with the responses received.

I guess there will be a deep Sand Pit provided for the MC at the AGM?
Regards

David - D3796 (08 629)
D3796

How about a MC New Years Resolution!

Postby Peter Hall » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:28 pm

Could I suggest that a way to stop the Forum dying would be for members of the MC to be more active as posters. Also for them to use it more to give updates on current projects such as the Library Web4 Project and the RO.

Thus, could I suggest that MC members make a 'New Years Resolution' to be more active on the forum.

For starters, what has happened to the January 2017 RO? Doesn't appear to even be available online yet.
Peter Hall

Re: How about a MC New Years Resolution!

Postby D3796 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:59 am

Peter Hall wrote:For starters, what has happened to the January 2017 RO? Doesn't appear to even be available online yet.
I wonder if this is due to the tone and content of this thread:-
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=368&p=941#p941
maybe the January edition needs re-formatting hence the delay in publication?
Regards

David - D3796 (08 629)
D3796

January RO

Postby Peter Hall » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:20 am

There clearly is a reason why the January RO is late. That to me is not a problem, I fully appreciate the volunteer commitment that goes in to it. The problem is that the members of the MC have been unwilling to make any comment on here since that by the editor after the MC meeting in early December. It is understood that the meeting was key with regard to the future of the RO, Library and Website which taken together are now the principle national activities of the Society which may encourage new members. One does suspect that a fly on the wall at that MC meeting may have had an interesting few hours.
Peter Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion