Brit Streaks

A forum for the discussion of railway related topics
Paddy

Brit Streaks

Post by Paddy » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:14 pm

I was a train spotter in Merseyside in the early 60s. Liverpool Lime Street after school, Edge Hill, Birkenhead Woodside , Chester and Crewe for days out. I heard rumours of ?Brit Streaks? i.e. streamlined Brittanias. Of course I dismissed this, as I did rumours of Clan Pacifics working into Lime Street at night. The rumour was sometimes reinforced at Crewe with our uneasy relationship with spotters from Manchester. Now I would like to resolve this after more than 50 years. Has anyone else heard about this? Is it possible that streamlining of some sort was tried out on a Brittania? Could it be a Brittania spotted in works with protective sheeting misinterpreted as streamlining? I would like to know ? even if the answer is that this original windup has lasted for 50 years. :?:

14Bfellow

Re: Brit Streaks

Post by 14Bfellow » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:31 am

All sorts of rumours used to do the rounds (and still do!) but never heard this one. If there had been any truth we would have heard at Liverpool Street where I used to spot. The Clan story seems more likely as they used get to Manchester as I recall. I don't seem to remember any mention of streamlining Britannias in the society book on them.

Paddy

Re: Brit Streaks

Post by Paddy » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:54 pm

I will have to accept that this is a myth. I also accept that Liverpool St./Stratford spotters would be possibly the best source of sightings over the years. However......on p136 Vol 1 of the RCTS BR Standard Steam locomotives there is an outline of C.S.Cock's design for a 3 cylinder Pacific that was not progressed. it is not "streamlined" but does look "sleek". On p.144 is 71000 with dynamometer and indicator boarding. Not streamlined....but in profile...at night...seen by a na?ve spotter (such as myself)? Brit Streaks I can now put behind me as a myth. Unless the originator is still out there and would like to own up.