RO 2014 Index

A forum for the discussion of railway related topics
cmmunton

RO 2014 Index

Post by cmmunton » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:47 pm

Could somebody please instruct me how to read ?Branch Newsletter 59A? as referred to under ?Noticeboard? ?2014 RO Index? of the February 2015 RO.
Apologies if this is the incorrect place to ask this question but I am 'Very' new to the 'Forum'.

MIKER

Re: RO 2014 Index

Post by MIKER » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:32 am

If it is the 2014 index you want, access the RO portal on the website Members dropdown, and when you see the cover of the current months issue displayed click on the archive tab at the left hand side of the screen. This will show you all the RO's available in the archive including the 2014 index and you simply click on the one you are interested in. The Newsletter however is not on that site but is mailed directly to Branch Officers by Alan Cooke. Contact Alan by email for further info at liaison@rcts.org.uk.
[/i
]

Hope this helps

Mike R

Paddy

Post by Paddy » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:41 pm

There is a lot of activity on the forum and the yahoo group relating to the way in which the discarding of the paper version of the Index was presented. There are also comments suggesting that the MC is a secretive group. In the Feb issue on p 74 mention is made of Branch Newsletter 59A which does not appear to readily available to members. Are there any valid reasons why MC minutes, decisions, newsletters cannot be put in the Members' section?

ttrains

Post by ttrains » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:09 pm

Given that not an insignificant number of readers of RO seem curious, is there any way we can see it online?

My hunch is that not everyone is necessarily opposed to the change, per se; but would like to see what sort of discussions went on--now that we are told about it in the RO.
TTrains
East Midlands

Peter Hall

Post by Peter Hall » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:03 pm

Sorry, if I am missing something. But surely its not the case that a properly printed RO index will not be dropping through the letter box of those, like me who still receive a printed version of the RO in that way. Unbelievable if true!

davidkelso

Post by davidkelso » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:42 pm

The Branch Newsletter is exactly what it says on the tin. It is a means of disseminating information on matters related to the management of the Society to all branch officers. It has been in use for 14 years. B N Number 1 was issued in November 2000. It is left to branch chairman and secretaries to use the information provided as they so wish and also to inform members at their branch meetings of matters which are of interest or of concern to them. e.g. the policy with regard to the RO Index. If you do not or cannot attend branch meetings and you wish to know part of the contents then simply contact the secretary of the branch to which your membership number is allocated and ask him/her to provide you with the information that interests you. It is not a Members Newsletter and never has been. It is not distributed to all memebers.

Paddy

Post by Paddy » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:39 pm

Irrespective of the labelling on the Branch newsletter ?tin?, the question was whether there was any valid reason why this and other minutes/documents having a bearing on the management of the Society should not be available on the Society website. The website has been pushed energetically over the past year or so, therefore it would seem to be the logical depository for these documents. ?Simply contact the secretary of the branch to which your membership number is allocated and ask him/her to provide you with the information that interests you? seems a more complicated process than looking at it on the RCTS website. How do I know if it is of interest to me if I don?t know what it contains? Branch Newsletter 59A is probably less important in content than its availability, if I am reading the course of the discussions on the forum and yahoo group from ordinary members correctly; making documents relating to discussions and decisions on the core RCTS business should be available to all members. It would certainly address the tone creeping into these discussions suggesting that the MC is too secretive.

ttrains

Post by ttrains » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:46 pm

davidkelso wrote:The Branch Newsletter is exactly what it says on the tin. It is a means of disseminating information on matters related to the management of the Society to all branch officers. It has been in use for 14 years. B N Number 1 was issued in November 2000. It is left to branch chairman and secretaries to use the information provided as they so wish and also to inform members at their branch meetings of matters which are of interest or of concern to them. e.g. the policy with regard to the RO Index. If you do not or cannot attend branch meetings and you wish to know part of the contents then simply contact the secretary of the branch to which your membership number is allocated and ask him/her to provide you with the information that interests you. It is not a Members Newsletter and never has been. It is not distributed to all memebers.
To start, I think the Society is a great place for the like-minded people to come together; and I also think that RO provides an interesting read for all of us--and indeed, an important source of information for many members.

Having said this, I am disturbed by this contribution from davidkelso. I think it raises several, serious, issues:

(1) A piece of information is alluded to in RO--something to which all members have access. Yet, it looks as if not an insignificant number of people did not know what was meant by BN 59A. Many asked for clarification;

(2) Now we get a response that suggests it is a piece of information that is not published to every member;

(3) From the response, we get a sense that the decision to cease distribution of the hardcopies of the Index should not be made public. Otherwise, we should have seen the actual rationale already;

(4) We also get a sense that the management is a privileged group of people, and that "ordinary" members need not be informed of what might be an important decision; and

(5) We also get an insinuation that those who cannot attend Branch Meetings should just shut up--without taking into consideration why they are unable to attend. Perhaps it is due to family commitments. Or, may be because they are in full time employment, and that makes attending meetings on a weekday evenings (let alone afternoons) extremely difficult. Regardless of the constraints, davidkelso seems to think that those who cannot attend have been absent because they could not be bothered to attend.

What is particularly disturbing is the rather patronising tone of the response by davidkelso; and the continued failure by the management to state the reasons for discontinuation of hardcopies. Some detailed information could have (or should have) appeared on the Website by now.

If there is a compelling financial reason--as it was implied earlier--then let's all hear it in detail. All it needs is a note in the RO and/or the Website. The longer the management keeps the decision closed to the wider membership, scepticism will only emerge. I cannot help but feel that the management is beginning to act like a Politburo. I challenge the management to prove me wrong.
TTrains
East Midlands

Paddy

Post by Paddy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:29 am

I have made my points about the opportunities for the RCTS website to include minutes/decisions etc. on subjects which have an immediate or future impact on members and will leave it at that. If I have to live without the Index as previously published by the RCTS, so be it. What I will not do is make any effort at producing a paper version myself. I am not short of computer expertise, printers and help within my family. Even with this to draw on, the combined efforts will not be compatible with the accompanying ROs, which are produced to a high professional standard. This high standard has had positive comments throughout the Forum. I do not have ready access to coated paper, or the means for producing a high gloss cover, which I believe would make it compatible with the ROs. I don?t want to have my attempts included in my RO binders, and I would certainly not want such a dubious offering bound with the ROs. Having it done more professionally would be a considerable cost to me as a one-off. I have read the Financial report in the April 2014 insert, explaining the policy for magazine fees to cover the production, printing and distribution costs, and maintaining the annual subscription at a level below that needed from running costs met directly from said subscription. Would a ?1 or ?2 increase in subscription to cover the Index production be so unacceptable as policy, or more pertinently, to the membership? ?2 buys you a Radio Times i.e. ?104 per year. That is 4 RCTS membership subscriptions. I know where the value lies (unlike the RT, I think the RO as a publication has actually improved in quality and content over the years).
Our editor Mike Robinson said, so prophetically, on p433 of the July 2014 RO:
As the Joni Mitchell song goes ??.you don?t know what you got till its gone!?

BigMal442

Post by BigMal442 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:06 pm

Gents,
The News letter to branch secretaries mainly contains mundane information about meetings,things such as looking after society publications, dates for returns etc. Most of this is of no interest or use to normal members of the society.
Far from being some secret society I have found members of management committee both willing to share information, open to listen to ideas, and they do normally reply to E-mails and correspondance including the Chairman. There has been and it is on going, to move with the times and embrace modern technology and present a professional and modern image of the Society to the world at large.

BM.