RCTS Logo

RO INDEX

A forum for the discussion of railway related topics

RO INDEX

Postby MIKER » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:28 pm

It seems that despite extensive publicity and discussion a number of members are unaware of our policy regarding distribution of a printed RO Index.
We ceased distributing printed copies of the Index to save costs following a decision at the 2014 Officers Conference. See RO's for Feb and March 2015 - A limited number of copies of the 2014 Index were printed for distribution at the 2015 AGM and this will again be the case this year at the 2016 AGM with respect to the 2015 Index.

It should be noted that the 2014 and 2015 indexes - along with all other RO associated supplements - are available digitally on this website.

Mike Robinson
MIKER

Re: RO INDEX

Postby windsor_lad » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:37 am

The printed 2015 index is now available.
It can be obtained by sending a C5 sized SAE to:--
ALAN COOKE
60 HAYSE HILL
WINDSOR
SL4 5SZ

Altenatively it can be collected from Vron Cooke at the AGM next month.
windsor_lad

2016 RO INDEX

Postby Peter Hall » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:35 am

The printed versions of the 2015 RO Index distributed at the AGM in April are of course not fit for purpose, being almost a copy of the 2014 index. The RO editor has made it clear in another thread by saying " We currently have no plans to replace the hard copy printed issues supplied at the 2015 AGM" that for many Society members the last Index they will have is the 2014 one. This presumes that there will not be a printed 2016 version as no point if there is not a 2015 version.

Hopefully this issue will be discussed at this weekends officers conference and production of printed versions will consequently be resumed.

Unfortunately, I fear, the current trend towards an increasing number of previously printed documents and procedures only being possible on line will continue as it is elsewhere. This discrimination towards members who do not have fancy computers and internet access for reasons such as personal finance, location or preference or any other reason is I am sure something the founding fathers of the Society never intended.
Peter Hall

RO 2015 & 2016 INDEX

Postby Peter Hall » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:10 am

Can anyone who was at the Officers Conference last Sunday give an update regarding this topic. Were the problems with the 2015 index raised and was any resolution proposed with deficient versions? Will a printed 2016 index be produced and made available at the 2017 AGM?
Peter Hall

Postby windsor_lad » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:44 am

This issue was not raised at the Officers' Conference.
No decision has been made yet regarding an index for 2016.

It should be borne in mind though that in a Society of about 2500 members, less than 90 have asked for the 2015 index so there is some effort for a tiny demand.
windsor_lad

Postby Ian Prince » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:24 pm

I may not have asked yet, but undoubtedly would prefer a pre printed index to my sets of R.O.

If they accurate, then they are undoubtedly useful for research.

Rather than just stopping it, which I think many members would vote against, has it ever been considered if a paid for version could be distributed each year to those prepared to pay a slightly enhanced annual fee? Print it yourself invariable means poor colour and inappropriate paper that doesnt fit in with a professional looking years worth of R.O.s

Please think again..
Ian Prince

Postby MisterC » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:34 am

I rejoined RCTS primarily to further my historical research projects.

The need for the RO index should not be judged superficially on the basis of how many current members require it. A decent RO index should be considered an integral part of what RCTS does to record the current scene for the benefit of researchers in the future.

I don't know the details but I expect that indexing software is available that can generate an index from the "electronic" RO. It needs human input too, otherwise it is just a catalogue of searches, but technology ought to be able to help to produce a good index for less human effort.

And I agree that the index should continue to be produced to the same standard as the RO itself, whether users of the index are reading on screen or on paper.
MisterC

RO INDEX - 2017 AGM

Postby Peter Hall » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:13 pm

I have indicated to the Society Secretary that unless, in the next few weeks, a statement is forthcoming to the effect that correct printed editions of the 2015 Index will be available at the 2017 AGM as well as those for 2016, I will formally request the topic be included for discussion at the 2017 AGM. That being the case I would hope all those who have a view on the subject either attend the AGM or if not able too submit their comments to the Society Secretary so as they can be taken into account.
Peter Hall

RO INDEX 2017 AGM

Postby Peter Hall » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:33 am

As posted elsewhere on the Forum I requested the following be included on the Agenda of the 2017 AGM:-

"How the Society ensure equality between members who embrace home computing technology and those who do not."

The Society Secretary has acknowledged by saying:-

"Your question as outlined below has been recognised and you should bring your subject matter up under AOB."

This implies it will not appear on the Agenda as such so very important that for whatever reason I am not present at the AGM this matter can be raised. I also indicated to the Secretary that this topic will include the ceasing of printed versions of the RO index. As far as I aware not further statements regarding the RO Index have been made since that by Windsor_lad in October. I am presuming Windsor_lad is a MC member and as such this matter has not been discussed further by the MC.

Presumably those who collected a defective copy of the 2015 Index at the 2016 AGM will be hoping to exchange it for a correct version at the 2017 AGM.
Peter Hall

Postby 21275 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:44 pm

Mister C,
Adobe Acrobat Pro will produce an index of pdf files that provides a very rapid search facility. Once the index file has been created, it can be read and used by anyone with the free version of Acrobat. The Great Eastern Railway Society's published magazines all contain this facility. These include the Railway & Travel Monthly Magazine, 1910 - 1922 as well as a complete run of the GER, LNER and BR(ER) house magazines for the period 1911 - 1963. You can find these all listed in the Files Emporium on the Society website:
http://www.gersociety.org.uk/index.php/ ... emporium-2
These indexes are not human readable and allow only to search for a single word or phrase but, nevertheless, they work well if you wish to search for a location or locomotive number, for example. "Concepts" are a bit more difficult.
I have generated such an index for a limited number of ROs and find it very useful from a research point of view.
I would be happy to discuss this further, off-forum, if you wish.

Next

Return to Discussion