RCTS Logo

2017 AGM Coventry

A forum for the discussion of railway related topics

2017 AGM Coventry

Postby Peter Hall » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:17 pm

As last year I will kick off a Topic regarding the forthcoming AGM.

Not sure if I will be present this year, I suspect many hope that I am not! Then again it does give members who contribute to the areas of the website I attempt to develop to say hello. So may attend if I can enlist some minders.

However, I did submit the following for inclusion on the Agenda by the required date.

How the Society ensure equality between members who embrace home computing technology and those who do not.

If you read this you do embrace the technology. However, I am conscious many do not and as far as possible they should not be dis-advantaged but would suggest they increasingly are. Examples being the RO index and subscription rates.
Peter Hall

Re: 2017 AGM Coventry

Postby pdeaves » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:20 pm

Peter Hall wrote:How the Society ensure equality between members who embrace home computing technology and those who do not.
Examples being the RO index and subscription rates.

On the one hand, everyone should be charged the same. 'A member is a member', each with one voice.

On the other hand, those who pay only for digital do not receive paper ROs (and being honest, with most society functions being carried out by volunteers, most of the subscription fee pays for this). Should they pay for paper, printing and postage for something they don't receive?

There is, I think, no right answer and I for one am glad I don't have to make the decision one way or the other!
pdeaves

Postby MisterC » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:08 pm

One way of putting it is that the subscription rate is the same for all, but those who opt not to receive paper RO get a discount, in recognition that it saves the Society printing and distribution costs.
MisterC

Postby Ian Prince » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:27 am

No advantage to me, but shouldn't we encourage new blood to the Society by offering 'junior' subscription rates (maybe digital only) as well.

It would be good to see a full analysis of membership 'age ranges', although I guess that this stat is not collected and would require some feedback/research from the rank and file, possibly through a paper based questionnaire?

I am going to try and make the AGM
Ian Prince

Postby Train Spotter » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:08 pm

Ian Prince wrote:No advantage to me, but shouldn't we encourage new blood to the Society by offering 'junior' subscription rates (maybe digital only) as well.

It would be good to see a full analysis of membership 'age ranges', although I guess that this stat is not collected and would require some feedback/research from the rank and file, possibly through a paper based questionnaire?

I am going to try and make the AGM

Wouldn't a new column on the membership renewal form be a good idea what age range are you in 20 & under. Then 20 to 30 then 30 to 40 ETC ETC. Then the MC might have a rough idea what the age span of the society is.......
Train Spotter

Postby Peter Hall » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:18 pm

At the 2015 AGM I asked for a breakdown of membership figures between life and ordinary members. This information was quickly provided. I also asked about retention rates of recently enrolled members. This information I was told was not compiled but would be looked at.

I have pre-warned the Secretary that I will be asking questions about the membership profile at this years AGM if I attend.

Although the Society does not hold the date of birth of members it does know which membership numbers were issued in which year. From this I believe an interesting profile of current membership can be established. What percentage of the current membership first joined in which decade. Logically the highest figure would be for the 2000's and lowest for the 1920s but I suspect that is not the case.
Last edited by Peter Hall on Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Hall

Postby David Goddard » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:58 pm

Peter

I will be happy to provide some statistical information on our membership profile at the AGM but it would help me a great deal if you could contact me directly beforehand with some specifics then I can run the relevant reporting in advance of the meeting to ensure that I have the information you would like to hand.

I only have joining dates going back around fifteen years. I can obtain older data from other sources but this would take time, so please don't ask me to provide a profile of when every single member joined as this would not be possible by the AGM.

We hold a great deal of information that I can, and routinely do report on, some of which takes a matter of seconds using Excel filters, others I need to obtain through exporting and running pivot tables to produce the appropriate report. I am actually working on retention at present.

Please let me know by 31 March and I will see what I can do.

Regards
David
David Goddard

Postby Peter Hall » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:43 pm

David, no doubt the Society Secretary has forwarded the following to you "If not covered in the Management Committee reports I intend to ask a similar question to that in 2015 regarding Administration and Activities (6a) p.497 7/15 RO.". I presume that following the 2015 AGM some analysis of retention rates was undertaken, your reply indicates so.

The number of members joining in the last fifteen years would be interesting split into five year blocks along with the number of those that are still members. Similar would be useful for the twentieth century split into decades.

It is pleasing to see a member of the MC commenting on matters raised regarding the Society on the forum. Hopefully other MC members will follow your lead.
Peter Hall

Re: 2017 AGM Coventry - Lap Top Computer

Postby Peter Hall » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:55 am

Last Year an addition to my 'little table in the corner' was a lap top computer displaying the Society website which allowed those not conversant with it to see what was on offer as well as explaining the areas which I was developing.

If I am in attendance I would hope to do the same again. As many of you know I am not greater embracer of modern computing and as such operate using PC's and do not own a Lap Top or Smart Phone. Thus, I would very much appreciate the loan of at least one Lap Top with WFI capability as I am a great believer in having reserve capability on hand. If you would be able to loan and set up a Lap Top on the 'little table in the corner' (mains power available) that would be very much appreciated especially if you aim to be an early arrival and present for the full event.

One member who hopes to be present has already offered to bring his Lap Top and I am grateful for that. However, always best to have back up just in case.
Peter Hall

Re: 2017 AGM Coventry - Website Features

Postby Peter Hall » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:51 am

The member who had hoped to be present at the AGM with a laptop will probably not now be able to attend. However, the chair of the meeting has asked the Society Secretary to try and source a lap top so as to display Society website features.

Those planning to attend the AGM will no doubt have looked through the AGM supplement and have been somewhat baffled why the Financial Report refers to the 2014/2015 year rather than the 2015/16 year. No doubt an explanation will be forthcoming as well as copies of the 2015/16 report being made available prior to the formal part of the meeting.

Although it does not effect members who go on line, as details can be found here http://www.rcts.org.uk/about/news/2017% ... gramme.pdf have full details of the days programme ever been made available to those members who do not?
Peter Hall

Next

Return to Discussion