RCTS Logo

Slough station - historical

A forum for the discussion of railway related topics

Slough station - historical

Postby pdeaves » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:42 am

A colleague has asked me which room used to be the royal waiting room. Can anyone help, please?

My own (light) research suggests that there was once a royal waiting room in a previous version of the station, but (after the Windsor line opened) it was all demolished and replaced with what we see today. Is that a correct understanding?

Thanks for your help!
pdeaves

Re: Slough station - historical

Postby windsor_lad » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:16 am

A comment in Chris Potts’s book Windsor to Slough – a Royal Branch Line of a royal train journey states that due to the limited platform space at Windsor the Royal Waiting room at Slough was used.

This is stated to be on the platform used for up trains for the general public which is now Platform 3.

The current station at Slough dates from September 1884 The original Slough station was opened from June 1840 and was originally a single platform station with both up and down platforms on the down side.
windsor_lad

Postby MisterC » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:16 pm

Royal trains ceased to use Windsor and Eton Central when the station was reduced to a single platform as part of the 1968 Paddington resignalling.

Through the 1970s various Royal Trains departed or arrived at Slough with road transport to and from Windsor Castle.

I have asked a friend, who grew up in Slough, how these trains were operated. He says that Royal Trains arrived or departed from the up relief platform 5, even when going in the down direction, so that the Royal party could enter and leave the station from that side without disrupting advertised services. The operation would be done so that there would be no wait between the rail and road modes of transport, hence no waiting room would be required.
MisterC

Postby pdeaves » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:01 am

Thanks both, that is most interesting.
pdeaves

Return to Discussion