RCTS Logo

New Books

A forum for the discussion of railway related topics

Re: New Books

Postby RichardCoulthurst » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:37 am

Lost Lines of Wales
Earlier this year I posted a note here that Graffeg Publishing of Llanelli had announced four more titles in their “Lost Lines of Wales” series which were due to appear in July this year. They are:
Vale of Neath (ISBN 9781912050666)
The Mid-Wales Line (ISBN 9781912050673)
Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth (ISBN 9781912050680)
Chester to Holyhead (ISBN 9781912050697)

I have now been notified by the publisher that due to a change in their production schedule these will not now appear till 6th October.
RichardCoulthurst

Postby Ian Prince » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:42 am

Just for the record I see that Joe Brown updated and brought out a fourth edition of his very detailed A4 sized London Railway Atlas (ISBN 9 780 711 038196) and has also now brought out a Birmingham and West Midlands edition in a similar format too. (Both 'Ian Allan') Reasonably priced too.

Having previous editions of his London Railway Atlas dating from edition two in 2009, I have to say that these are of a high standard and are exceptionally detailed, putting other railway atlases to shame. His long term goal to expand to other centres across the country appears to be coming to fruition and I have to say I look forward to them. They are well researched and detailed. I have found far more errors in Cobb's huge and pricey two volume railway atlas than I have been able to in just the London Railway Atlas alone. (Obviously having knowledge of the whole country is more difficult than a single geographical area). I do like the way that historical information and data is fairly universal and not restricted to a single date or period, but takes the geographical areas from inception to current date, including closures and re-openings.

Whilst they are geographically accurate as far as possible; the overlaying that Cobb did onto OS maps would be awesome, but almost certainly a bridge too far to achieve in printed form at a realistic price? Not least the scale to be utilised!

Both volumes very well recommended, both for the historical student and current day observer.
Ian Prince

Postby RichardCoulthurst » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:22 pm

Well, this is not really a new book as it was published in 2016 but I haven't seen it mentioned here.

Ghosts of Aberglaslyn - the Portmadoc, Beddgelert & South Snowdon Railway: A History by John Manners, paperback, 120 pages, A4, 53 b/w & colour illustrations, Welsh Highland Railway Heritage Group, 25 The Pound, Syresham, Brackley, NN13 5HG, ISBN 978 0 9930821 4 6, £18.00 (post free in the UK), http://www.welshhighlandheritage.co.uk
RichardCoulthurst

Previous

Return to Discussion