A forum for the discussion of railway related topics

Mystery location

Postby David Goddard » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:34 pm

Posting on behalf of someone who has forwarded the details to me:

Where is it 003A.png
Where is it 003A.png (550.77 KiB) Viewed 495 times

Where is it 007.png
Where is it 007.png (446.95 KiB) Viewed 495 times

The images attached are rather poor quality stills from a short piece of WW2 archive film. I have seen this film more than once in the past but never with any description. I do not have a video of the original source but it was incorporated into the 2015 ITV programme "Churchill - the 100 days that saved Britain"

https://player.vimeo.com/video/117810694

The archive sequence runs from about 20m 30s to 21:05. The railway scenes, very brief, are at about 20:58.

Does anyone know where it was filmed?

It is possible that other scenes – soldiers in the streets and what looks very much like a northern (or Welsh) landscape – could have been cobbled together from any number of reels and that the railway scene is anywhere but there appears to be a continuity to the film.

On the video the loco looks like it could be a small GW type – Manor or Mogul. The wooden station building appears to be in GW chocolate and cream. There might be a tunnel through that hill in the background – is that little white patch smoke drifting out? With a little faith one can make out a signal box on the left of the tracks beyond the platform. And is the train crossing a road bridge – beyond the platform the land on the right drops away and there are what could be the chimneys of buildings.

The soldiers may be from the Royal Welsh Fusiliers – there is a close-up in the sequence in which two are clearly wearing the RWF cap badge. The soot-blackened church entrance and that distinctive poster might also be a clue.

A lot of 'mights'.

My thanks in anticipation – I hope you can help.
David Goddard

Re: Mystery location

Postby MIKER » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:31 pm

David - Almost certainly Ambergate looking toward Crich Stand and Matlock.
MIKER

Postby pdeaves » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:06 pm

In another forum, someone investigated the credits and established that it was Wentworth and Holyland.

This video has the railway scenes at the start (http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/dear-sergeant-or-story-rough-riding-motorcycling-course) with loads of fascinating military motorcycle riding after.
pdeaves

Postby Ian Prince » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:59 pm

I presume you mean Wentworth and Hoyland, (ex Midland Rly) closed 2nd Nov 1959?
Ian Prince

Return to Discussion