Railway Quiz No. 6 Answers
1) A former railway line that is now a footpath crosses a bridge over Little Petherick Creek, can you find where this former line was located?
This bridge is just outside Padstow on the Camel Trail the former line to Wadebridge in Cornwall.
2) Rose Grove was one of the last Steam Motive Power depots can you name the town in which it was located?
Rose Grove was in the town of Burnley
3) After the Second World War Southampton Docks was shunted by USA class tank locomotives can you find which class of locomotives were used before these arrived?
The docks were shunted by B4 Class 0-4-0T locomotives. The 1946 SR Locomotive Allocation Book shows 12 B4 allocated and 4 E1 Class 0-6-0T and at least 2 E1’s were kept after the USA Tanks arrived.
4) Which was the first ex steam locomotive depot to be converted to exclusively service diesel locomotives?
Devons Road, Bow was the first all diesel locomotive depot with an allocation of Class 20’s, Class 15’s (D8200) and North British shunters (D2900) class in late 1957. With the run down of the East London docks the depot closed in February 1964 and the locomotives were transferred to Stratford.
5) Four Gresley A4s were named for the haulage of the ‘Silver Jubilee’ in 1935 can you find them?
60014/5/6/7 Silver Link / Quicksilver / Silver King / Silver Fox
6) Can you name the locomotive servicing point that was used by both steam and diesels just outside Paddington that allowed locomotives to return from London without needing to go to Old Oak Common Depot?
Ranelagh Road servicing point
7) Kandersteg is a station on this route in Europe?
Kandersteg is on the Lotschberg Line between Spiez and Brig just north of the Lotschberg Tunnel in Switzerland
8) One locomotive of the D49 Hunt / Shire class was rebuilt in 1942 to a D49/4 with modified valve gear, this proved to be quite problematical and it turned out to be the first locomotive of the class to be withdrawn, can you find the number and name of this locomotive?
This locomotive was No. 62768 ‘The Morpeth’
9) The ‘Norseman’ was a boat train service that departed from Kings Cross but can you find the dock where passengers changed from train to ship and the final destination?
The embarkation point was Newcastle Tyne Commission Quay for the voyage to Bergen in Norway.
10) I have just been reading Peter Gray’s ‘West Country’s Railways’, one of his favourite stations for photography was Thorverton can you find the line where this station was located?
Thorverton was on the Exe Valley line between Exeter and Tiverton.
11) One of the L B S C Railway Marsh Atlantics was converted as a test bed for Bullied’s Leader project, can you find the locomotive that was used?
The locomotive was a Class H1 Atlantic 32039 ‘Hartland Point’
12) Can you name the Amtrak service that runs between Chicago and San Francisco via Denver and Salt Lake City?
This train is the Californian Zephyr.
13) A Peppercorn Class A1 name has a link with Loch Garton in the Highlands can you find the locomotive and the name?
The link is Osprey the name of A1 No. 60131. Loch Garton is a nesting site for Ospreys.
14) A bridge in the Highlands of Scotland was a dual road / rail bridge, the branch was closed in the early sixties but the bridge is still used for road traffic, can you find the location of this bridge?
The bridge is at Connel Ferry on the former Balachulish branch.
15) Two ships worked the Harwich to Hook of Holland service as a joint British / Dutch route, the British service ran under the Sealink title until Stena Line took over in 1990. The last Sealink ship was the ‘St Nicholas’, can you find the Dutch ship that operated the service at that time?
The Dutch ship was the ‘Koningin Beatrix’ 31189 Tons which operated the service from April 1986 to June 1997.
16) The Talyllyn Railway acquired two locomotives from which railway at the start of the preservation era?
The two locomotives are No. 3 ‘Sir Hayden’ and No. 4 ‘Edward Thomas’ from the Corris Railway.
17) Can you find the seven LMS ‘Patriots’ that were named after Welsh towns?
45514 Holyhead, 45515 Caernarvon, 45520 Llandudno, 45521 Rhyl, 45522 Prestatyn, 45523 Bangor, 45525 Colwyn Bay.
18) Stratford TMD had an allocation of seven 0-4-0 diesel shunters of three different types in the late 1950’s and early 1960’s can you find the locomotives involved?
4 Barclay diesel mechanical D2953/4/5/6, 2 Ruston & Hornsby diesel mechanical D2957/8, 1 Brush Traction diesel electric D2999.
(Stratford also had an allocation of North British shunters D2900-7 after Devons Road closed 2/64 but these were soon transferred to the London Midland region).
19) A holiday camp on the Yorkshire coast had its own station on a triangular junction both of which have been closed for many years, can you find where this was?
Filey Holiday Camp for the Butlins camp.
20) Can you find the Warship diesel hydraulic named after the ship commanded by the late Duke of Edinburgh?
If you have any queries on this quiz please contact David Flatman directly at the email below
Last updated: 10th May