Presenter: Kenny Williamson
Our December meeting produced a healthy attendance to view the presentation “A walk along the Balerno Branch”, with Kenny Williamson.
The 6 mile Balerno Branch, opened in 1874 by the Caledonian Railway, ran from Balerno via Balerno Junction to the main line at Slateford traversing the 4 stations, Colinton, Juniper Green, Currie & Balerno, to tap goods traffic from the numerous mills along the line. Passenger services operated from opening until cessation in 1943, freight ending in 1967 upon the line’s closure. Traffic included Coal, Esparto grass imported through Granton, lime & many excursions and day trippers. Awkward operating conditions required construction of 2 special tank locomotive classes, firstly in 1870, then in 1899, whilst accompanying coaches were designed for the branch.
Accompanying images included Slateford station in 1960, Slateford viaduct with a Balerno service, Colinton station, tunnel & tunnel mural, Juniper Green station, Kinleith Paper Mill, Currie station & passing loop, Currie goods yard 1967, Balerno station, empty coal train at Balerno Junct., Stationmaster’s & Signalman’s houses at Balerno, bridge remains at Balerno looking towards Ravelrig Junct., Ravelrig Junct. Signal Box, Balerno Tank at Dalry Road & Balerno Branch working timetable.
An interesting Q & A session followed.
A nostalgic evening much appreciated by the attendees.